As promised or threatened, here is more about the big news today...THE TURN-AROUND! The chart shows it all...the reinfused stem cells have engrafted and have started doing their thing (making white cells, among other things, so my immunity is starting to return). The process will take a while, but it is very reassuring to know that it is happening. I felt all along that this stem cell transplant had a bit of a comparison to a Space Shuttle landing, where it comes in with no power (coasting), and has to land right the first time.
I didn't sleep well last night, as my lower back ached a lot. It turns out it was the Nuprogen and the stem cells doing their thing, working in the marrow of my hip bones I assume. Dwelling on the symptoms a little more (sorry), the diarrhea continues (but is manageable). It should go away as the new stem cells can start reconstituting my gasto-intestinal tract. The nausea has not been much of an issue.
I slept almost all afternoon...could not keep my eyes open. Some of that was probably from not sleeping much last night, but some was probably from my system working hard to generate stem cells. I finally forced myself to wake up and walk the halls for fifteen minutes, pushing my companion cart along and chatting with Sami.
Tomorrow we will have more blood readings (taken at 4:00 am) and know how the turn-around continues, and what the rest of the plan will likely be. There are three other blood factors that are also tracked, which can affect the plan. Nothing has looked to be a concern so far. I still have to have my Central Venus Catheter surgically removed, and we're told that will probably happen before I leave (instead of being done on a return visit). We also assume that the diarrhea needs to be under control before I can leave.
At this stage I'm doing pretty well. I'm not particularly uncomfortable, have good company (Sami), and a very attentive staff at back and call. I do look forward to being back to familiar surroundings and not plumbed to a machine. I'm being realistic and expecting the recovery to be slow. Guess I better milk it for all it's worth.
Oh, I'll know more about how much hair I'll lose when I wash it tonight.
I will save some thoughts about a bigger view of all this experience for another blog entry.
Cheers!

4 comments:
So glad to hear you're turning the corner to health, Don.
Have you ever felt so good about an Excel chart? Not me -- this is an extra-special one! It also sounds like you and Paul ought to exchange lower-GI tales of trouble. Oh, the things we take for granted when all is well...Glad you are officially, statistically on the upswing of things!
Good news indeed! What an incredible process. Hang in there for the home stretch!
Hi, Every word is so very encouraging!! It looks like you are about out of the woods, Don!! Better days ahead soon!! Yeah!!
Love to both, Marsha
Post a Comment