Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Being Home First Weekiversary


I’ve been home from the hospital for a week.  Time for me to pen a few thoughts and observations.

When I came home, I wondered if I should have been released, as I had zero  energy, and walking was a major effort.  Fortunately, my energy level has improved, though it’s obvious that progress is going to be slow.  I am feeling significantly better compared to a week ago.  I will settle for slow but steady progress.  I am up to walking around the block twice as my daily exercise.  I have not had any nausea or other complications since being home, which is great!  My only difficulty (other than just being tired all the time) is dealing with a skin rash that keeps me itchy and makes sleep difficult.  Pretty sure it is a chemo side effect.  We will be seeing a dermatologist tomorrow, and the transplant doctor on Friday.  Loosing most of my hair has not bothered me other than I need to wear a cap to keep my head warm.  Losing my beard does show more wrinkles and creases than I realized I had.

Now that the experience is behind me (other than the recovery), I realize it wasn’t as challenging as I thought it might be.  I am told I was at the top of the list for getting through the experience with flying colors.  To be sure, it was not an easy experience, but it could have been much worse.  The two-plus weeks in the hospital seem far away now and a little surreal.  I am really happy to be back on home turf, not connect to machines, and not having tubes coming out of my chest.  I do think my attitude of maintaining positive thinking and accepting what had to be done, served me well.

I now realize that good health is not always a given.  We are fragile beings, and are very dependent on our body working as it should.  I will be much more appreciative of my good days from now on!

Having such tremendous support and help from Sami needs to be acknowledged.  She has made this all a lot more bearable.  Also, I want to thank all of you who have supported me with cards and comments in the blog and in Facebook, and emails.  It really helped to know there was a rally group out there.

Cheers!
                           Don

No comments: