Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Message From Don

Hi Everyone!

Thank you all for your sharing your support and concern for me over this last year.  It really makes a difference knowing that so many are rooting for me.

The truth be told, this hasn't really been all that bad a year for me.  The short version is that I've really not dealt with any symptoms of Bone Marrow Cancer, just the side effects of the treatment.  It was detected early enough to let me miss the bad stuff.  The treatment (chemo) has been quite tolerable...mainly lack of energy and LOTS of visits to the Providence Cancer Center, which end up taking a chunk of the day away once or twice a week.  I've had to be realistic about what I can and cannot do (my 'project mode' went out the window this year), but I've been free of nausea and discomfort for the most part.  The cats appreciate that they get more time with me on the couch.

If you haven't heard, it was a almost a twist of fate that the cancer was detected when it was.  My previous primary doctor moved out of the area, and I needed to find a new doctor, but I procrastinated.  I had a routine colonoscopy scheduled for the first of the year, and needed a referral from my primary doctor, so that moved me to find a new one.  Well, the new doctor I chose, Dr. Marina Mezey, immediately saw my tendency to Multiple Myeloma based on my existing records (mainly because of anemia).  She called me in a memorable phone call one evening, to tell me not to be alarmed, but that I needed more tests to be sure one way or the other about the possibility of Cancer.  Well, the rest is history, but it was because of her sharp eye that my diagnosis was made when it was (apparently a borderline call at the time).

I look forward to the next step (stem cell transplant) with mixed emotions...both wanting to get it done, and having a degree of anxiety.  It is a major procedure, with significant risks.  But, Sami and I both agree that we can't change the situation, and just need to deal with it in a positive manner.  We are both tuned in to everything that is expected to happen, so we expect no surprises (that's important to me).  We have had very positive experiences with all of the professionals we encounter at the Providence Cancer Center.  So...we are ready to proceed, and to emerge on the other side with something approximating my former condition.  And, thanks to medical advances, I expect to emerge in remission for enough years to make this all worth while (I may get to repeat the treatment down the road, however).  It wasn't that many years ago that having Multiple Myeloma was a death sentence.  I picked the right time to deal with this!

Thanks for listening!

Don

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Don! This may be a repeat, as I have never read or commented in a blog before--trying to not spend too much time on a computer! Nancy and I really appreciate your and Sami's updates; I had just been wondering about your journey several days ago, and Sami's e-mail was timely. Nancy and I send you all our warmest and most positive thoughts as you continue your journey. We missed getting out a Christmas letter last year due to preparing for the birth of Stephanie's twins, and to our involvement with them thereafter. A boy and a girl, both very healthy! Plan to get a letter out this year.
I could only seem to post this as "anonymous". Gary Earney

Unknown said...

Don, I'm glad you got it detected early. I had to deal with prostate cancer this year, but, like you I was the beneficiary of good docs and early detection. I believe we will both be counted as survivors! It's a precious thing. I'll be thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

That's a very nicely reading piece, Bro! Good job of summarizing how this started. Sharing your experience is a good thing to do. Others may benefit from learning how you and Sami have responded to your Multiple Myeloma through the months -- nearly a year, now -- and may have more courage to confront medical crises which they or their loved ones and close acquaintances may encounter in the future. [Bro' Sam I am]

Carl said...

Very well spoken. Also, I love the attention to detail here.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ever so much, Don and Sami, for the excellent communication every step of the way. We want to be on this journey with you!! Love you guys, Marsha

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that your cancer was caught so early, so you've only really had to deal with fatigue. Very lucky! I wish you the best when you get to the marrow transplant. Onwards! Love, Kat